Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 17:28:00 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 16:36:58 +0200
>
> On 22.03.2019 12:16, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > You don't need to be subscribed to bug-gnu-emacs mailing list
> > (although if you are interested in helping the development, I would
> > recommend subscribing).  You can instead point your Web browser to
> > https://debbugs.gnu.org/ and use the various filtering options there.
> > Or you could use the debbugs package in ELPA to do that.
>
> Should I add some examples of how more modern bug trackers make it
> easier and more enticing for a random person to contribute?

If you want.  Though it isn't necessarily related to the point I was
trying to make, which was in response to a very specific comment made
by Konstantin.

> For one thing, if you're not subscribed to the list, replying to a
> particular message is more difficult (you have to copy the subject and
> the addresses), and the result will break out of an existing thread for
> everybody involved.

First, I did recommend to subscribe.  But if one doesn't subscribe,
there's still a way to reply properly, albeit a bit convoluted: you
can download each of the messages recorded by the bug tracker as an
mbox file (the link to do that is shown as part of the header of each
message when you read the bug discussions in a web browser), then tell
your MUA to read that mbox file, and reply to the message.

(You can also download each month of the traffic on bug-gnu-emacs as
an mbox file, the link is shown when you read the list archives in a
browser.)