Re: Tabs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 22:48:18 +0300

>> > Then tried this, and the result is global-tab.png: notice, usually,
>> > Emacs here starts restoring about 65 buffers
>>
>> Have you visited all these 65 buffers in the same window?
>
> From the screenshots I sent, when I use tabbar-ruler from MELPA, Emacs
> loads 65 buffers and shows them 'per mode', i.e. if I select a .f90 buffer,
> it shows only buffers in F90 mode. Usually I can see about 4-5 tabs but
> I can navigate (scroll) between them using left-right arrows (see
> tabbar-ruler.png). The '-' on the tabs row allows to switch to see tabs per
> mode (tabbar-ruler-permode.png), so I click the '-', select 'Shell-script'
> tab and then visit a loaded .sh buffer, and so on.

Grouping buffers by their modes is already implemented when you click
on the plus sign: buffers are grouped by modes at the top submenus.

> More or less similar functionalities are present in other
> Editors/IDEs/Browsers.
>
> Maybe, instead of limit the number of tabs, one should limit its
> dimension so that the name buffer is still partially visible.. Yuri
> (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/msg00057.html)
> has good POV.

Yes, I tend to agree that truncating tab names to the point
of complete unreadability like Chromes does, doesn't make any good.
I guess we have to define some minimal size of the tab name.