Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 13:29:42 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> As you can see from the recent messages, a lot of users prefer undo-tree or
> even
> undo-only+undo-redo rather than the default undo.
Yes, but as I understand the situtaion a lot of users, usually those
that are new to Emacs does not get at the start how Emacs undo works,
and they resort to something simpler they are familiar with.

That is why I suggested to start talking about non-destructive text
editing to emphasize more on how undo feature in Emacs works. I see no
problems with having to different undo-mechanisms either, the original
one, and one simpler. Simpler could work as people are used from other
applications and could be default, and could be disabled by setting some
nil value for some variable so experienced user can use original undo.

Undo tree as a visualisation is very cool feature, and could be one of
unique Emacs features, if it could visualise any undo/redo history. I
don't use undo-tree myself, but I think that graphical representation of
undo history is a cool even if mostly gimmicky.