Re: Question about completion behavior

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about completion behavior
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 15:22:23 +0100

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:11:59 +0100
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

What I propose is:

1. no unique        (shows or update completions)
2. unique common    (complete-common and UPDATE completions)
3. unique candidate (complete and hides completion)
4. unique common but completion is a valid entry (complete-common and hides
completion)

Is this behavior fine??

Sorry, I don't think I understand what you mean by each of the
descriptions "unique common", "unique candidate", etc.  And I don't
want to guess wrongly.  So I cannot answer your question; please
describe each situation as accurately as you can, to make the
discussion effective and useful.

Thanks.

2. "unique common"

compi<tab> -> compil

And there are other candidates with "compil" prefix (compilation-mode,
compile, etc) but "compil" itself is not a valid one (or exact).

3. "unique candidate"

compilation-mo<tab> -> compilation-mode

And it is the only candidate.

4. "unique common but completion is a valid entry"

magi<tab> -> magit and there are more candidates, but "magit" itself is
already valid (but there is magit-diff, magit-status, etc).