Re: [External] : Re: Question about completion behavior

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Question about completion behavior
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 00:38:00 +0100

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 11:14:56PM +0000, Drew Adams wrote:

Hi Drew:

Man, please relax...

Doesn't sound like it - not regarding what I
asked about, at least.

I have nothing against keeping *Completions*
showing and updating it as a user changes the
pattern to match (and either explicitly asks
for a rematch or has elected to get automatic
rematching).

In fact, I invented such behavior for Emacs
(a couple decades ago).

But why would we not _remove_ *Completions*
when there are no matches?

We tell users in the echo area that there are
no matches.  Why also show an empty buffer,
for nonexistent completions, with a redundant
message there saying there are none?

(That's IBM's "This page intentionally left
blank."  But at least there was a reason for
that notice.)

Maybe "the new code is simpler".  It sounds
like the new user experience is less simple
- and maybe a step backward.

I understand your feature would be optional.
It sounds like it has room for improvement.

The user experience is exactly the same than before.  Just that now
there is an option to change, suppress or/and get a counter with the
total number of completions where there was before just a bit
superfluous hard-coded message: "Possible completions are:"

That's it. Everything else is exactly the same. As usual, I am not doing
rocket engineering here; I am just adding something simple and obvious
that nobody wanted to give any attention before; in spite of many more
experienced lispers like you could implement this in 30 minutes two
decades ago ;p.

> Why would we ever say "0 possible completions"?
>
> Why bother with "possible"?  We never show
> IMpossible completions, do we?
>
> When there are no matches we just tell users
> there's no match.  Always have.  Simple.

And your answer is?

Because the original message was: "Possible completions are:" and it has
been there since ever without hearing your complains about that the
completions are not IMpossible.

I don't care anything about one word at all and if the user doesn't like
the word or you want to put there "Drews completions are:", at least now
you have an option to customize it as you prefer...

Best,
Ergus