Re: Question about completion behavior

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Question about completion behavior
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 18:56:44 +0200

> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 15:30:16 +0100
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> The current behavior mixes the completion-auto-help==t with
> completion-auto-help=='lazy when there is some completion and the
> completions are already visible (hiding them).
>
> If we do:
>
> compi<tab> it should be completed, but if the completions list is
> somehow visible, then after the tab it is not correct, so we currently
> hide it, when we must just update it right?

No.  This is on purpose: with the current behavior, the user can type
a few more characters to fit a single candidate, then hit RET and be
done.

Showing the completions buffer when it is not necessarily needed is a
distraction when you type TAB not to see the candidates, but to have
Emacs type stuff for you.

> The fix in any case is extremely simple and I think that with a new vale
> for completion-auto-help to 'always it will work, but may be even
> complicated to explain in the documentation...

Changes in this area must be optional, because Emacs has behaved like
that for eons.