Re: How to search on emacs-devel?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: How to search on emacs-devel?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 14:01:32 -0800

>>> - A bidirectional IMAP <-> Git gateway.
>> But this bit would live on a server someplace, not locally?
>
> Right.
>
>>> - an nngit backend (not just read-only).
>> And this bit would I guess need to be a wrapper around a different nn*
>> backend, since git would only be the transport, the messages themselves
>> might be stored as mbox or maildir or something.
>
> I think it'd need its own file layout because we'd want to make sure
> Git's conflict resolution does "the right thing".
>
>> This would also compete for the "nngit" name with the
>> non-existent-yet-historically-inevitable backend that presents
>> a news-like interface to the branches and commits in a git repository.
>
> Yes, it shouldn't be called "nngit".  Instead the file-layout system
> would have its own name, like `MailGit`, `Gail`, `GitBox`, or whoknowswhat.

Gotcha. I was thinking this would be a git interface to whatever mail
store happened to be out there in the wild, but you're describing
something where it's the IMAP server that interfaces with "the wild",
and git is just the internal store? I guess I don't see a major
advantage to just using IMAP directly...