Re: How to search on emacs-devel?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to search on emacs-devel?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 17:12:43 -0500

> Gotcha. I was thinking this would be a git interface to whatever mail
> store happened to be out there in the wild, but you're describing
> something where it's the IMAP server that interfaces with "the wild",
> and git is just the internal store? I guess I don't see a major
> advantage to just using IMAP directly...

The idea is that the use of IMAP would be a transient artifact and
ditched at some point when the MTA can deliver directly to your
MailGit mailbox.

Then instead of fetching mail via IMAP and being f**ed when you're
offline, you "git pull" to quickly and efficiently get a complete local
copy of your mailbox (and `git push` to send back up the information
about which message you've read/deleted, the tags you've added, or
whether you moved some messages to other folders, ...).

There are many tricky parts, tho:
- Find a good layout to avoid conflicts during `git merge`.
- Figure out a way to let Git forget old mail you really want deleted.
- Write a bidi-gateway with something like IMAP so you can start using
  it before reaching the brave new world where your favorite email
  provider support MailGit format mailboxes.

        Stefan