Re: Supported/Bundled CSV support?

From: Joost
Subject: Re: Supported/Bundled CSV support?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:43:28 +0100

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022, at 23:30, Stefan Monnier wrote:
[csv-mode]
> Don't know about Melpa, but in (Non)GNU ELPA, I can only find one such
> package and it dates back to Dec 2021.

Speaking of which, I recently had an occasion for using this package and I was
somewhat surprised that I did not find a way to specify the field separator on
a per-file (or per-buffer) basis. The file I wanted to open used `;` as
separator, and some of the fields hat commas in them. Adding `;` to
`csv-separators` caused Emacs to recognize *both* `;` and `,` as field
separators, meaning that the file wasn't displayed correctly.

I needed to set `csv-separators` to `(";")` to get Emacs to handle the file
correctly. But if I make that permatent, I wouldn't be able to open any CSV
files with commas as separators anymore.

Did I miss something, or is this indeed how `csv-mode` works? If so, I'm
inclined to create a bug report, cause I reckon few (in any) CSV files use more
than one separator character.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments