Re: Eglot to core [Was: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]]

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Eglot to core [Was: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]]
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 12:01:56 +0100

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 7:23 AM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > So I see no need to rename it.  But we can definitely add various ways
> > to make it easier to find, such as adding a `language-server-mode`
> > alias.
> I think a major improvement would be for searching "Language Server" in
> Custom to find variables defined by eglot.

Makes sense, but keep in mind that in contrast to some other "super popular"  LSP
packages Eglot provides very few of these.  Only 10 currently.  I intend to keep this
set minimal, maybe even remove some (but not right away).

One of the points of bringing Eglot into core is that it can be used as
a library by other major modes, who are free to build on top of Eglot's API.  Thus
language server support becomes somewhat transparent (according to Stefan's
recent definition): users don't need to know -- to some reasonable extent -- that Eglot
as an LSP client is being used, just as they needn't know that tree-sitter is being
used to provide, say, a better C++ mode.

João