Re: Adding icon sets to Emacs -- and next steps for icons.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding icon sets to Emacs -- and next steps for icons.el
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 08:39:39 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>,
>   angelo.g0@libero.it,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 09:23:12 +0800
>
> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I think we could think about this from the point of view of what most
> > users will prefer.  In doing that, we would probably do well to note
> > current trends in UIX, which definitely have been moving more and more
> > towards the minimalistic.  Clear icons of a single (or two) colors seem
> > to be the norm.
>
> Let's keep minimizing the user interface until it becomes useless!

Let's not enlarge the noise level here by arguing too much about
defaults.  As long as the defaults can be changed if the user doesn't
like them, the problem is not a grave one.

I don't like the view of these icons, but as long as I can customize
Emacs to use the color ones, I don't mind adding these to Emacs, for
those who like them.  And this comes from an Emacs user who never
disables the tool bar, so the icons are always pretty much into my
face.

So let's stop arguing about this.  The feature must allow easy
customization of the tool-bar icons (like with a flip of a single
variable); other than that, it gets my vote for adding it to Emacs.

Whether to make it the default, is a separate question, which we could
discuss later.  For now, please make it an opt-in feature.