Re: Adding icon sets to Emacs -- and next steps for icons.el

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: Adding icon sets to Emacs -- and next steps for icons.el
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 16:31:36 +0530

[புதன் ஆகஸ்ட் 24, 2022] Stefan Kangas wrote:

> There is still color: we just use a single one (black).  All in all,
> black is not necessarily a bad choice: the text I'm reading now is
> black, as is the text in any paperback book.
>
> But we do go from one distinct style to another.  This is true.  It is
> inevitable that some people will love a change like this, while others
> will hate it.  Others will probably be indifferent.
>
> [...]
>
> I note that these icons have been created by professional designers, as
> have the guidelines on how to use them.[1]  This includes the one-color
> look.
>
> [...]
>
> So, in summary, I think the icon set I suggest is both a good and safe
> choice, that helps clean up the user interface and give it a more
> contemporary look.  I hope that it will be accepted as the default.

Considering the complaints against the monochrome icons, what do you
think about using the Haiku icons which are MIT-licensed [1]?  Since
Haiku is a desktop OS, their icons must have had conscious design
decision into them and mainly they are not monochromatic but colourful;
I haven't checked but they _should_ hopefully cover all the icons Emacs
would need.  The icons are not in a common image format but there exists
a GitHub repository [2] that has the icons converted to SVG.

[1] https://www.haiku-inc.org/trademarks/haiku_icons/
[2] https://github.com/darealshinji/haiku-icons