Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 22:06:16 +0000

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> Then you suggest we should change the name of company mode, a mode which
> has been extremely successful and over the many years it has existed,
> I've never seen a single person say anything like "Oh wow, I just
> discovered what company is, if only it had a better name which would
> have alerted me sooner!".

I was like that, when I had first heard of both "auto-complete-mode" and
"company-mode" I preferred the former because the name was more
descriptive, and "company-mode" made the impression of being
"commercial" software.  In the end I switched because it was technically
superior, but I hesitated for a long while no other reason than the
name.

While it might be that many don't care about names, it is unreasonable
to assume that nobody prefers generic, descriptive names.