Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 11:13:43 +1100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> How to deal with Eglot and Semantic is not clear to me.
>
> Is there any programming language which is supported both by Eglot and
> by Semantic?

I think this question still shows a fundamental lack of understanding
regarding what eglot is and does.

Eglot doens't know anything about programming languages. What languages
it is able to work with is determined by the available language
servers. The available language servers change as new ones are created
and old ones die off. They are implemented in different languages and
have nothing to do with Emacs or elisp.

Is there overlap between semantic and eglot? Well, yes in the sense that
languages wupported by semantic have language servers.

When there is overlap, is it the same functionality? No, not
necessarily. It may have common aspects, but it could also be
significantly different. Some people will likely prefer a semantic based
workflow and others may prefer an eglot one (and yet others may prefer
other elisp soluions for some languages, for example cider over eglot
and clojure-lsp.

This again brings us around to a core stumbling block - how do you have
a name which describes what something does when there are multiple
packages which do that thing?