Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 18:49:56 -0400

  > > The main change is that Emacs should refer to the package and its
  > > functionality primarily as Parse Code in menus and documentation.

  > I think this will not be the best solution, because the features
  > enabled by Eglot use the results of parsing performed by an external
  > server, they don't perform any parsing.

That's an implementation detail, not important for this aspect of things.

The point is that the feature users will enable is a feature of parsing code
(wherever that is implemented).  It is generally better to talk with users
in terms that make sense at the user's level.

People have pointed out that Semantic also parses code.
Perhaps we should think of Eglot and Semantic as two methods
by which Emacs implementrs one feature (parsing code).

We could have a Parse Code feature which uses can enable.  For some
actions and languages, it would use Eglot, and for others it would use
Semantic, but users should not have to know about those two (unless
they are curious).

  > But it's too early and premature to discuss what we will say in our
  > menus, because we have no idea what these menus will be and which
  > features they will activate.

I'm talking about more than "menus".  I'm talking about how we will
describe this feature in all kinds of documentation.