Re: [patch: first impression]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [patch: first impression]
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:41:13 +0200

>>> "DG" == Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 10.10.2022 17:53, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>> On 10.10.2022 09:39, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>> Just 'git apply' on top of the latest master.
>> I have to wait till the BUG I reported is resolved, since otherwise
>> working with Emacs is an ordeal. However I have given it a try and
>> it seems, that in mercurial speech,
>> there is a
>> hg up tip
>> Missing, the @ is not on tip (I think called HEAD in git), but on
>> the changeset (commit) just before.
>> I have to debug this in order to see what is going on.
>> The behavior is a bit annoying especially if you continue working
>> and want to commit again, in which case you might create a new head
>> (in mercurial speech), if you are not carefully checking the graph
>> before.
>> But if you do, your solution is  somehow working.

> OK. What if our solution also automatically calls `hg up tip` at the
> end? Should that always work, or would it mess up situations where the
> user actually wanted to be in that state (head not at tip), and was in
> that originally?

Let me think a bit about it and maybe ask other mercurial users on the
hg mailing list. I would say hg up tip should be ok, since this the
default behavior anyway

> E.g. if they wanted to "create a new head" using the new method to
> commit a patch?

I am not sure you know but in mercurial you could create an anonymous
head (which is impossible in git, well at least not permanently) but it
is also strongly avised against doing it, so if you want to do that you
would create before the commit a named branch, topic or maybe a
bookmark.

But let me ask first others

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.