Re: [vc-region-history in HG]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [vc-region-history in HG]
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 14:17:39 +0200

>>> "DM" == Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>>
>> I just realized that vc-region-history does not work in hg, in the sense
>> that it just shows the changes in the whole buffer, while it works for
>> git. I looked briefly at the code and could not find any special calls
>> to git there.
>>
>> Any idea what could be the reason (not that there are very many HG users
>> on this list...)?

> In a git repository, the function delegates to the backend function
> vc-git-region-history, which calls "git log -L" (requires git 1.8.4+).

> If this cheatsheet is accurate,
> https://hyperpolyglot.org/version-control, there is no direct Mercurial
> alternative to git log -L ("commits which touched lines").

Thanks!
Hm, I see, what is the difference then to annotate?

BTW I just found in vc-hg-region-history-mode

(define-derived-mode vc-hg-region-history-mode
    vc-hg-log-view-mode "Hg-Region-History"
  "Major mode to browse Hg's \"log -p\" output."

But this seems to be a different beast

> But perhaps we can implement the feature for Mercurial in some other
> way.

I try to contact some mercurial guru.

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.