Re: A vc wish: vc-timemachine

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: A vc wish: vc-timemachine
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 17:51:16 -0400

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 5:03 PM John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org> wrote:

> That said, that optimization can be significant when looking for a revision,
> if the subject code has been heavily edited.

To make that more concrete...

My backup scheme records an RCS revision everytime I save a file:
https://github.com/jsyjr/bostr   (A save is non-interaction and hence
records no meaningful commit comment.)

When something goes wrong I want to browse the various previous saved
states, searching for one that "looks right".  Here "looks right" is
based on what I remember the code looking like at some point in the
past.  The image in my memory is emphatically not a diff, nor a blame
display.  Typically it was some prog-mode buffer with font-locking.

Having to drive my search process from some alternate revision
enumeration and having to separately bring up a view of each revision
is just a painful amount of friction.

Re: scratching my own itch...

I am trying to prototype something based on Peter Stiernström's
git-timemachine.  Initially it will only support git, so, initially,
not a solution for my itch.  But it will help me get my feet wet with
vc and will provide a means for others to "kick the ui tires".