Re: Mistakes in commit log messages

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Mistakes in commit log messages
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 22:45:44 -0700

On 4/14/2023 8:41 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
Ok, I think this patch should work, though I'll continue testing it locally before I merge it. We could also merge this patch sooner if we temporarily made the pre-push hook advisory (i.e. doesn't block a push). That way, others can try these hooks out without it blocking anyone's work. Then when we're happy with it, we can make the pre-push hook error out on bad commit messages.

Here are a couple small fixes after testing against the 2000 latest commits (though I haven't examined *all* the errors in detail). I fixed the hooks so that they actually close the pipes we use, and also made a regexp a bit more strict. Previously, it split file names by a comma and/or a space, but there are a few files with commas in their names, e.g. "test/lisp/net/eudc-resources/dc=gnu,dc=org.ldif". Now it handles those properly.

Testing this, there are a bunch of commits where the first line is of the form "* Do something". Maybe the hooks should ignore cases like that, or we could just disallow that going forward. I don't have a strong opinion.

There's also one more commit I'm not quite sure what to do about: 0a95a81d8d36722ccf030a6194ecd953fc257a59. It has this in the commit message:

This fixes bug #61144. If the space around the * is "symmetric" we leave foo * bar unfontified, a multiplication operation. If it is "asymmetric" we
    fontify it as a pointer declaration.

The second line of this excerpt is treated like a file entry. Maybe our hook could allow that if it were clever enough, or maybe this is a rare enough occurrence that we should just have committers reformat the message slightly.

Almost all the other errors are due to commits from packages that were imported into the Emacs repo and their files moved around during the import (e.g. Eglot, use-package).