Re: Mistakes in commit log messages

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Mistakes in commit log messages
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 10:15:19 +0300

> Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 22:45:44 -0700
> From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
> Cc: acm@muc.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> There's also one more commit I'm not quite sure what to do about:
> 0a95a81d8d36722ccf030a6194ecd953fc257a59. It has this in the commit message:
>
>      This fixes bug #61144.  If the space around the * is "symmetric" we
> leave foo
>      * bar unfontified, a multiplication operation.  If it is
> "asymmetric" we
>      fontify it as a pointer declaration.
>
> The second line of this excerpt is treated like a file entry. Maybe our
> hook could allow that if it were clever enough, or maybe this is a rare
> enough occurrence that we should just have committers reformat the
> message slightly.

The latter, IMO.  There's absolutely no reason for a log message to
have a '*' as the first non-whitespace character of a line.  Fixing
that is easy.

Btw, Alan, this is a good example of your log messages, which are
filled using a much larger value of fill-column that the default.  The
resulting ChangeLog entries appear ugly and stand out from the rest.
Would you please adjust your customizations to use a smaller
fill-column value, like at most 76, when writing commit log messages?