Re: Where to contribute manual translations ?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Where to contribute manual translations ?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 09:04:15 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> If we are going to call the source files of the translations of
> manuals as MANUAL-LANG.texi, then we don't need a separate directory,
> we could instead put them all in the same directories.  That is, we
> could have doc/misc/ses.texi and doc/mist/ses-fr.texi.  This would be
> simpler, I think?

It would be simpler, yes.  But it's nice to be able to have a directory
where a simple `ls` gives you "all the manuals that exist" without
having to filter for all languages, or manually check to see if they are
translations.  (Unfortunately, filtering out "-[a-z][a-z].texi" doesn't
work due to files like mairix-el.texi.)

So moving it all into a directory like doc/translations makes things a
little bit more complicated, but arguably also a bit tidier.

OTOH, we could always change things around later if it starts becoming a
problem.  For now, it's all a bit hypothetical given that it's only one
file.  :-)

> Why not info/$MANUAL-$LANG.info ?

Users of non-French locales do not want to see the French manual(s), I
think.  OTOH, if I start Emacs with something like

    LANG=fr_FR emacs -Q

I would probably like to see the french manual.