Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importan

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 21:17:35 +0000

On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 10:41:11PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > There's a limit to how many languages one person can read, so they won't
> > need dozens of such directories.
>
> I was thinking about automatic computation of Info-directory-list, the
> way we have in Emacs now.  That might need to account for directories
> that _might_ exist, but aren't necessarily there on every system.  The
> potential list of language-specific subdirectories _is_ long.
>
> Having all of the manuals in a single directory with language-specific
> suffixes completely avoids these problems, and will work with the
> current standard Info directory trees without any changes.

If using language suffixes for Info manuals becomes common practice,
in the future we could add support to the standalone Info program to
look for such manuals when following cross-references, dependent on
users' settings.

I'm not insisting that the language suffixes shouldn't be used in
preference to language-specific installation directories, if that's
more convenient or practical, even if the latter way seems to have
some possible advantages.