Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importan

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 22:41:11 +0200

> From: Gavin Smith <gavinsmith0123@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 20:16:54 +0000
> Cc: jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org, stefankangas@gmail.com,
>       vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr, emacs-devel@gnu.org, rms@gnu.org,
>       help-texinfo@gnu.org
>
> > > If desired, users could have a directory containing solely Info manuals
> > > in a certain language along with a dir file containing their dir entries.
> >
> > That would mean INFOPATH will have to be amended to include such
> > directories.  It also means that INFOPATH will eventually include a
> > lot of directories, and search for Info manuals might become
> > significantly slower.  I'm not sure this is a scalable arrangement.
>
> There's a limit to how many languages one person can read, so they won't
> need dozens of such directories.

I was thinking about automatic computation of Info-directory-list, the
way we have in Emacs now.  That might need to account for directories
that _might_ exist, but aren't necessarily there on every system.  The
potential list of language-specific subdirectories _is_ long.

Having all of the manuals in a single directory with language-specific
suffixes completely avoids these problems, and will work with the
current standard Info directory trees without any changes.