Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 20:35:52 +1000

Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org> writes:

On June 23, 2024 10:15:59 AM EDT, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org> writes:

I don't trust that many such users exist, and even if they did, providing default keybindings for these keys will not somehow override the keybindings you install yourself.

Sure. And more users stand to benefit from Windmove commands if they are bound to C-x 4, than if they were required to bind such commands themselves, commands defined by a package that is already of marginal interest? What extraordinary logic!

Well, yes? It's of marginal interest because it's not discoverable. It's nevertheless useful. More people would use the package if it were discoverable. I don't think the logic is terribly complicated here.

What I have found as I've learned Emacs is that while discoverability is important, what I've really needed is "try-ability", as it's often been difficult for me to imagine how a particular function might feel to use, might serve me (or not), and sometimes what it even does until I see it (especially if it involves new concepts).

A few times early on I would have liked default keybindings automatically added /after/ electing to try a package and /only if/ those keys weren't already bound to something else. Every now and again I think Emacs would be improved by having this-or-that feature with a lower "barrier to trying", even if I had elected not to stick with it.

These days I'm confident in my ability to add my own keybindings in order to try a package, but at the start I wasn't.

Thanks and regards,

      - Joel