Re: @string abbreviation in bib file not honored in (basic) org-cite

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: @string abbreviation in bib file not honored in (basic) org-cite
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 11:55:36 +0800

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 7:25 AM <Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr> wrote:
>
>> As I do not know which of these alternatives
>>
>>    - it is normal, this feature should not be there,
>>    - it is an oversight,
>>    - this feature is not implemented yet,
>
> I believe this is the answer, and it's arguable (I have no opinion,
> and could see reasonable arguments either way) whether a "basic"
> processor should support it?
>
> The parsebib library, which most third party packages use (for
> org-cite, there's my citar), does support this feature.

oc-basic.el is relying on built-in bibtex.el. AFAIK, bibtex.el does not
support @string abbreviations.

The problem with parsebib is that it does not even have license
(I do not see any in https://github.com/joostkremers/parsebib). If
parsebib were a part of Emacs core or at least a part of ELPA, we would
also be able to use it in Org core.

Or one could extend bibtex.el with abbreviation support.

Best,
Ihor