[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:50:39 -0500

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 at 19:58:13 +0900 Sacha wrote:

> Planner's motto could be "There's more than one way to do it."

That's Perl's motto!

Anyway, prior to using Planner, I had been writing my personal journal
pages in HTML using Emacs.  But I found myself spending more time
worrying about format than content.  There had to be a better way.

So I tried a few journal programs, but I wasn't happy with them.  I
really wanted a text-based solution.  I started using diary, but it was
annoying.  Someone suggested records-mode, but I couldn't install it on
my Windows setup.  The other Emacs journal modes seemed to be more
geared for web publishing.

When someone suggested Planner I was immediately happy with it.  Then I
found myself using it for work, listing tasks and keeping notes.

I wrote spd.el to allow me to switch between my personal journal and my
work tasks & notes.  It's more useful in organizing my notes on my
projects.  I tend to have multiple long-term projects that I'm working
on simultaneously, and I have trouble remembering the status of those I
haven't worked on in a few days.  Remember and Planner-browser are
really handy.  I still haven't "published" anything.

My environment:  Windows 2000, Office 2000, including Outlook for email
and contacts.  (I had Gnus set up to retrieve mail from both Exchange
and my personal POP mailboxes, but it wasn't as intuitive as Outlook.)
I've been using Emacs on Windows since July 2000.

HTH
--
Raymond Zeitler <address@hidden>