Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie

From: Alan Schussman
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:04:55 -0700

Sacha Chua wrote:
> So, everyone:
>
> What's your current killer feature, the reason why you're playing
> around with Planner?
>
> What's your main wishlist feature?

I've really enjoyed the discussion around here the past handful of days; it has prompted me to think about my planning AND I have actually been pretty productive, too. Seeing my RCS comments pop into my planner when I committed some changes to a document totally made my day. Now that was cool.

For my part, I have been thinking today of how cool it would be to have a dynamic header on my day pages. For instance, when I'm actively working on projects TeachPrep and DissSurvey, it would be neat to put something like the following in a simple file (a wiki file, why not?):

* Hot projects
- Ongoing: TeachPrep | DissSurvey
- Next week: HolidayShopping

This header could be automatically placed at the top of the page when a current day page is updated, giving me a visual (and very quick) link to the stuff that I'm actually working on. This way, if all the current project-specific tasks get completed but I don't pull a new task from the project page (happens all the time), the project itself doesn't leave my view. I fake something like this by periodically modifying planner-day-page-template, and it works just fine, but doing it automatically would make it easier to update the header as I complete DissSurvey or finish my shopping: Just do the natural task of changing a text file. I wonder if this could be done via something akin to planner-insinuate-diary, which updates the display of the day's diary as the diary file changes, but only for days that haven't yet passed by. This would give the benefit of updating future pages that may be created as tasks are given future dates, but not revising past day pages.

That and a firefox extension to blast URLs into a remember buffer, and I'd be an even happier planner user.

-Alan