[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:42:57 +0900

Andreas Stemmer <address@hidden> writes:

> (except for the fact, that I have Linux and Evolution on my main
> computer). BTW: I didn't expect so many Windows users on this list.

Come to think of it... Yeah, why is that? <impish grin> Yet another
cool thing this unimaginative maintainer didn't anticipate. I like
Planner 'cause I live in Emacs and I like tweaking Emacs beyond
recognition. Seriously. I change my Emacs config almost daily. I know
I'm weird. ;)

Mmkay. If it's not the hyperlinking from/to everything and it's not
the publishing, why use Planner? It doesn't have the cool widgets of
the gazillions of PIMs available for Windows. Microsoft Entourage
(Office Mac) has way more powerful linking.

So, everyone:

What's your current killer feature, the reason why you're playing
around with Planner?

What's your main wishlist feature?

(Can someone please get annoyed enough with sync and hack up a
solution for it? <impish grin>)

You can post your answers here (for the general wonder and amazement
of all) or edit the page at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMode . See there? Near
the end? "People who use planner.el"? Something like that would be
fun. =)

Speaking of hyperlinking and other operating environments:

<plug> I'm looking for a grad school that'll let me do research in
personal information and management, preferably building on planner.el
and this user community. I have a nagging feeling that we're onto some
cool ideas here, but I don't have the experience to phrase them
clearly. Here's a rough list:

- Automatic hyperlinking

  Wouldn't it be nice to do this across applications and have it Just
  Work? GNOME seems to be doing cross-app communication, like with the
  Dashboard project. Good for people who don't live in Emacs.

- Extreme customization / user-centric design

  Making personal information managers personal. What happens when you
  can change the behavior of your PIM, building software support for
  your particular way of doing things? What kind of PIM will you evolve,
  and how will your way of planning change in the process?

I'm applying to UToronto, MIT, and GaTech. They have PIM and wearable
computing research. Fortunately, UToronto's Interactive Media Lab
director is in Tokyo! I'll be demonstrating Planner to him on
Thursday, I think. He's not quite sure where the funding will come
from, so I may end up working on a different topic if I get accepted.

'course, if you know of some other school that's into personal
information management (preferably with an active geek community), I'd
love to hear about it. =)

Just keeping everyone up to date on my grad school ambitions.
</plug><!--shameless-->

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed