Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Sort tasks alphabetically

From: Kai von Fintel
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Sort tasks alphabetically
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 15:55:05 -0500

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:01:55 -0800, Jody Klymak <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Kai von Fintel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Is there an easy or blatantly obvious way to have tasks sorted
> > alphabetically (within a given A/B/C block)? That way, a prefix like
> > "Grocery:" or "Office:" in front of each task could simulate the GTD
> > recipe of sorting next tasks by context.
>
> There is no way to do this now that I know of.
>
> This is a good idea.  Would doing it by associated plan-page be an
> acceptable way to sort?  Even just a random (non alphabetical) sorting
> based on this would be cool.  If you really just want contextualized
> tasks (i.e. things to do at the grocery), I'd make a "project"
> GroceryTasks, OfficeTasks, etc.  But this would also be a useful
> sorting for tasks to do with real projects.
>
> Here is a hack that sorts within priorities by plan page link.  Seems
> to work (so far).  Note that you could use something like
> jmk-get-planner-link to get the string from the task and do the
> sorting that way.
>
> Also, anyone who can fix the code below, please do.

Cool. That works and is a pretty good substitute, although sorting by
prefix would be closer to GTD nirvana, since you would have tasks
associated both with the real project they belong to and with the
context in which they will be carried out. I wish I was proficient in
lisp to hack this myself but I'm not. Thanks for your help.

-- Kai.