[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler

From: Pascal Quesseveur
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:51:42 +0100

I am a Planner newbie (since just a few weeks) and I am quite happy
with it. Before using planner i have tried different todo modes and
planner is the one that fits best my needs. I am not using all the
features provided by planner -- I must admit that I did'nt understood
all of them. For example, I don't use planner-id.

I have set some project pages for the few projects I'm working on. For
each project I have two kinds of tasks:

- general tasks which I have not associated to deadlines (Code,
  Documentation, Tests, ...)

- dedicated tasks which in general are associated to dates

I create all those tasks from the project pages.

Each day, I use the plan command to know which tasks are associated
for today's date. At the beginning I was very reluctant to use day
pages, but I was very pleased to discover that undone tasks are
automatically carried out to the new day page. When a task is done, I
set its status to done from the today's page.

I use timeclock to log the time spent, but only on general tasks. So,
I have to use timeclock-in from the project pages. I have patched
planner-task-in-progress to add the name of the project page
(planner-task-page) to the timelog insted of the link when there is no
planner-task-link information. Hence, I am able to use the timeclock
python script from J. Wiegley to report the time spent on my different
projects. I have also modified the script to be able to report the
time spent on the differents tasks inside a given project:

,----
| > timeclock -l timelog -p ProjetSimuIr
| ProjetSimuIr: Documentation 2d 7:35
| ProjetSimuIr: Maintenance 1:13
| TOTAL    3d 0:48
`----

<wish>To be able to insert a report like this directly in the project
page. And to actualise it automatically.</wish>

I hope that you'll find my experience useful. And thanks a lot for
planner.

--
Pascal Quesseveur, address@hidden