Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler

From: Carl Worth
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:58:52 -0500

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:11:17 -0500, John Sullivan wrote:
> That might work for you, but I don't understand the advantage. With the
> current
> system, you can just hit enter at the prompts if you don't want to enter the
> information at that point.

The advantage is in simplicity. When I first tried using planner I
skimmed the documentation looking for the "how to start it" command and
found "C-c C-t". But it was a bit disconcerting to be confronted with 3
prompts, (and one rather complex that makes a new window to display a
calendar).

> And, the advantage of the prompts is that they give you things to
> speed up data entry, like default values so you don't have to type the
> category
> over and over if you want to make multiple tasks with the same category, and
> better date navigation, so if you do want to enter a date, you can enter
> things
> like "+7" to schedule the task a week from today, even if you don't know what
> the date is, and tab completion on your categories, etc..

I guess I'd like to see more of those advantages made available directly
within the emacs buffer rather than solely in the mini-buffer when using
an explicit planner command.

But I did just recently learn about planner-copy-or-move-task which does
make the date selection available again after the initial creation. So
that's a good thing I wasn't aware of.

So the commands are there. But maybe there could be more. M-x
fill-paragraph is complemented by auto-fill-mode, perhaps M-x
planner-copy-or-move-task could be complemented by
planner-auto-update-tasks or similar...

-Carl