[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler

From: Jody Klymak
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:00:35 -0800

Hi Sacha,

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:

> Carl Worth <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Changing the default date to nil would help a lot. To compensate, a
>> single character mnemonic for today could also be provided, (something
>> like '.'?).
>
> Perhaps we should just have another
> planner-create-undated-task-from-buffer and advise newbies to use
> one or the other depending on their way of planning?

This seems OK.

> Would it be a bad idea for newbies to have undated tasks by default?

I think its a bad idea.  While I can sympathize with Carl, I think
that hiding the power of planner is not necessarily the way to go.  If
the date thing is annoying, by all means allow there to be a toggle.
But by default I think it is a very well laid out and useful feature.
Particularly if planner-carry-tasks-forward is used (as it is by
default).

It *might* be cool if the prompt said:

When (2004.12.14,12.14, 14) or "nil":

so that the "nil" option was known about - I only found out about it a
few weeks ago.

> Perhaps it might be a good idea for a FAQ. "Help! I have too many
> tasks on my day pages! What should I do?"

A FAQ is always nice.

A tutorial would be cool too.  I'll have a go at that over the break.
Need to set up a new user on my machine so I have a vanilla planner.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak      http://opg1.ucsd.edu/~jklymak/
mailto:address@hidden