Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:58:17 -0600

David:

I am willing to test candidate releases of Qsynth to ensure that they work on all of the machines in my lab (which includes some slow, low memory machines), and that they run all of my demo pieces, which have not successfully played on Qsynth in the last two Ubuntu releases.

Hopefully the development version will not require taking out qjackctl (JACK), since that is an integral part of my environment.

I also have a new MIDI device to test it with, which (surprisingly) has given Rosegarden a few challenges.

- Aere

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 14:47 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
On 07/11/2012 08:57 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
> Something I've been thinking of for a while, and the recent thread
> reminded me of that thought...
>
> FluidSynth is quite a versatile program/library, and we all want
> different things out of it. No one of us has the full picture, or uses
> FluidSynth to all the different things it can be used for.
>
> Making sure that none of all these use cases break, is one of
> FluidSynth's biggest challenges, and maybe sometimes it can cause us to
> be overly cautious.
>
> Here's a proposal that might help us with that challenge.

So far I've only seen S Christian Collins respond, with actual things
that he can commit to testing (thanks!).

So, for the rest of you.

The thing is, up till now, we haven't had much of release candidates,
but instead people test the final release, and complain when things stop
working, and I end up having to make another release - until the next
tester happens to find a bug, and have to make another release, and so
on. That is frustrating, I want to change that.

If people want their specific features still working, is it too much to
ask for, that those people at least test them *before* release time?

// David