Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL licence untested, authors could lose their rights in U

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL licence untested, authors could lose their rights in UK
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:02:22 +0100

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 06:49:11PM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:

> I'm pretty sure, though, in the case where software is sold (or, a
> software licence - I don't think the judiciary will care) it will need
> to meet the usual standards (e.g., be fit for purpose). I don't think
> those standards are terribly high though :/

It will?  So can I please get my money back if I buy a shrink-wrapped
software package which proves to be not fit for the purpose for which it
was sold to me?  Has anyone ever managed to get money back for such a
claim from MS, for instance?

It looks to me as though free software is being held to a higher
standard than that from Redmond...

Chris C