Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL licence untested, authors could lose their rights in U

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL licence untested, authors could lose their rights in UK
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:38:33 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Sam Liddicott wrote:

> WE know that the GPL means license rather than sale, but do the
> customers infer such after reading the license? I think "not sold" is a
> very important part of the statement, one that needs clearly making.
>
> Should we limit the license such that if law implies certain extended
> terms the license is rather revoked than extended?
> i.e. the software is licensed under such limited terms or not at all -
> if local law extends warranty or license beyond limits then license is
> not available in your locality.

I'm not sure that would hold as you'd be retroactively revoking the
license in response to a courts ruling which might well be seen as
contempt of the court.

Certainly the law already holds that there are some implied warranties -
the warrantee that the software wont cause damage unless is states that it
will.

Perhaps a more pertinent question is how the courts might consider
damages. In the case of Free Software will the courts hold that the user
clearly understood, or *should have understood*, that there would be no
recourse to a claim for damages given that no license fee was paid. Of
course in the case of software for which a charge of some kind has been
made there is a basis for a claim for damages.

Still it's all academic unless someone tries to bring a case in which case
the whole can of worms re software licensing terms is likely to come into
question.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG                    Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/          up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98