gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Mime editor

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Mime editor
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:47:37 +0100

Michael wrote:

I placed the script into my path, and I also configured gcmd (by full path) to use it as 'mime editor' program (with %s it that ok?).

It is the zenity --text-info --editable dialog that has
troubble when encountering at least "%f" (%F seemes OK).

I also placed the symlink "gnome-file-types-properties" into my users path. (is it really file-types-, not file-type- ?)

Gnome Commander calls "gnome-file-types-properties".

However mimeedit doesn't launch, neither via file properties -> 'Change' button, nor via Settings -> Edit mimetypes.

As i wrote earlier, from the file properties dialog gcmd
passes the mimetype. I have changed the script to only
take filename instead, this was to solve sub-mime type
classes, to let gnomevfs do the guesswork.

I tried to switch 'eog' to 'gqview.desktop' for jpg files however it didn't work.

What? "eog" is a command, "gqview.desktop" is not.

Steps to reproduce?

Have you made any associations with file extensions?
That is possible too you know, and that takes precedence
over the mimetype and should thus be avoided if possible.
(i bet your distribution, or some program installs, has
done at least a few of those)

The mimeinfo.cache file is what controls it. In that file
you have the mimetype first, then a semicolon separated
list of *.desktop file names representing apps that can
handle the mimetype. The first in this list is the default.
And the cache in your home dir chould take precedence over
the global one. Try it manually. You can also delete your
~/.local/share/applications directory and start fresh.
(you could have a messed up dir)

You can of course run the script from commandline too,
just pass it a filenamne (or no argument).