[Gnash-dev] Re[2]: Text quality

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re[2]: Text quality
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 20:35:02 +0200

Hello Rob,

RS> standalone player. Cairo also has an OpenGL driver, so my thought was to
RS> drop the direct OpenGL backend, and replace it with Cairo, optionally
RS> using it's own OpenGL driver.

Good, because I have no possibility to test the OpenGL backend.

RS>   There are both a D3D and XBox backends that I know people are using
RS> with GameSWF. They're included in Gnash, but I have no idea if they
RS> truly work anymore.

They could both be based on the AGG backend (no hardware acceleration
except for blitting, though).

RS>   But with the AGG backend becoming more fully functional, yes. Cairo
RS> support is less critical once Gnash supports a 2D framebuffer backend of
RS> any kind. That opens up a huge world of devices I'd love to see Gnash
RS> running on.

Probably it's only advantage will be the OpenGL integration, but Cairo
does not do anti-aliasing.

>> Can someone verify that the AGG licence allows us to integrate AGG
>> into the Gnash source tree?
RS>   It's one of those dual-licensing messes, more public domain (modified
RS> BSD) than anything else. I don't believe there would be any issues with
RS> it being used by Gnash as a optional backend. It also appears to be part
RS> of many standard distributions, so it shouldn't create any dependency
RS> issues.

AGG is completely based on include files (since it heavily uses
templates). Can't it be distributed along with Gnash in one package?

Udo