Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:03:50 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Florian Weimer <address@hidden>

    > On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:59:27AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

    >> Personally what _I'd_ like to see is a universal standard for taglines,

I think you (Miles) should want to see a universal standard for
_tags_, of which taglines are a subset.   Basically, all of
`inventory' is the thing to think about factoring out and standardizing.

    > But taglines are only important for a very limited set of
    > version control systems (those who try to track the identity of
    > files not just by their names, but do _not_ track file history
    > through copying).

It's also for source hygiene, source auditting, cataloging, and
changeset exchange -- all of which a revision control system may or
may not take into account -- but none of which are, in and of
themselves, revision control.

I wonder, sometimes, if I had released `inventory' as a separate
package first -- sure, few people would be directly interested in it
at first -- and then made it a pre-req for arch that you had to
separately download, how many of these (fairly oft-repeated)
discussions would occur.

Perhaps I should have made mkpatch/dopatch separate packages, too,
(for which inventory would, again, be a pre-req).

Both under (distinct) pseudonyms...