Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unifying =tagging-method and .arch-inventory

From: Jason McCarty
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unifying =tagging-method and .arch-inventory
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 19:13:18 -0400

Colin Walters wrote:
> Or - thinking about this a bit more - there's a lot of parallel between
> ~/.arch-inventory and =tagging-method.  The only real differences are
> 1) The latter defines the default method
> 2) The latter is recursive
>
> What about unifiying the two?  Say that we allow setting the default
> method and the untagged-source type inside the tree's toplevel
> .arch-inventory.  Also, what we want is a new directive, "recursive"
> before various regexps.

I rather like this idea. Both the "recursive" and "untagged-source"
could be used to good effect in the other .arch-inventory files, so they
would be just like the top-level file. The tagging method has a tla
command to set it, so it could be left in {arch}/=tagging-method. Unless
we even want to set the tagging-method per-directory, but perhaps that's
overkill.

If not for having to support the legacy =tagging-method, this might even
remove a little inventory code.

--
Jason McCarty <address@hidden>