[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Daniel James
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:35:31 +0100

Colin Walters wrote:
The only other actual example of where you think Furth would be useful
in tla that I've gleaned from this thread is "project-specific" rules.
My answer to that is: "exec".  You have yet to rebut that.

For me, the answer is portability. I would want an archive to be usable on any platform, using only tla (or whatever client). This means an embedded language. Eventually there will be a windows client which doesn't require cygwin.

If you decide that using your archive requires perl/python/sh, then I hope you'll be able to just run it from the embedded language. You might even be able to write a script which causes all hooks, or whatever, to search for the scripts. In which case, you're only going to require 1 standard script in the embedded language. So you'll only need to learn to write the config files, which should be no harder than the existing ones.

Personally, I would consider Lua ideal. But I don't have much experience with Scheme, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Daniel