Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:45:01 -0400

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 14:27 -0700, Jeremy Shaw wrote:

> Well, as it stands now, if you want to get information back from tla
> other than the return code, (e.g. the output of 'tla logs -sfD'), you
> must parse stdout/stderr. This is not a very good long-term
> strategy.

Or you could use bindings that exist for your language; e.g. pyarch for
Python.

>  Think about what will happen when tla becomes
> internationalized...

I don't see how internationalization would change the output of "tla
logs -sfD".

> For large extensions (e.g. writing a GUI version of arch, you likely
> want a 'libarch' that has bindings to your favorite language. Tom
> mentioned that the VM development will likely drive the "librifying"
> of libarch -- so even if you don't use the VM, you will still benefit
> if you want your favorite language to have a good libarch binding.

librifying libarch is indeed an extremely useful thing.  A built in VM
is of questionable to no value.

> Also, a built in extension language, might make for a conveniant way
> to add safe, project-specific scripts.

There are plenty of existing languages and tools for that.  As for the
"built in" (i.e. "no extra dependency") part, see my reply to Daniel.

> ==> crazy example <==

Indeed.