Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:50:10 -0700

On Jul 12, 2004, at 1:39 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

* Tom Lord:

  ~ everyone agrees that we are a nation at war;  many agree that
    during wartime, some suspension of normal rights is a necessity

Really?  Did invading Iraq change this feeling, or was it the same
before?

Americans have a fair problem with telling when we're at war given all the weird things we've been sucked into over the years. (WWI, WWII, Cold "War")

I'm kind of weird in that I think we're at war whenever we send soldiers somewhere to kill people. That doesn't just mean boots on the ground, but rather bombs, cruise missiles, etc. So we've been at war with Iraq since 1990 when that crazy Saddam invaded Kuwait. Kosovo was a war. Recently, we were at war in Haiti. I like my method, because many of our recent un-wars (Korea, Vietnam were "police-actions") are counted as actual wars. For the remaining things (Somalia, Haiti) I think that thinking of it as a war forces us to take it seriously, calling it something else just encourages fuzzy thinking.

Legally, we're at war when Congress approves a declaration of war. That doesn't matter for most Americans. For most Americans, we're at war when Americans start getting killed, or when we have boots on the ground. That's pretty typical for us, we tried to stay out of the stupidity of WWI until the Lusitania, and we tried to stay out of WWII until Pearl Harbor. So we've been at war with Islamofascism since 9/11 when some terrorism spilled over onto our home territory.

Iraq is really a side issue, its kind of something we had to clean off the table before we dealt with the difficult problem of the lack of democracy in the middle east. We kind of went into Iraq with the hopes of a twofer, that is, we could get rid of Saddam, and have at least one democratic yet arab country in the region to interact with.

In reality, the Afghanistan involvement probably is a necessary
tribute for gaining a permanent seat in the Security Council.

Having a large enough military to matter, or providing enough foreign aid to matter should be a necessary prerequisite for being on the Security Council, not who won WWII. So Germany probably makes more sense then say, France, which has been cutting back on both.

What many US citizens feel is that Europeans have been skimping in these two areas lately. If you don't want to spend the money on guns, fine, we recognize that we have a large military partially for social reasons, but then you should be spending the equivalent on foreign aid then. You live in the world too.

You're not going to like hearing this, but a widespread perception in the US is that Europe wants to both not spend the money to be relevant, while retaining veto power on US actions. That's not going to happen. If Europe wants to be consulted, they'll have to spend the money. In the debates I see in Foreign Affairs, the pro-Europe faction is getting increasingly frustrated because more and more, when Europe shows up, it doesn't make any difference.

Anyways, that's my $0.02.

 Pierce

P.S.

Fun Fact: The US Army is the only armed force in the world with a "Civil Affairs" department specifically tasked with interacting with civilians both friendly and hostile.

This is relevant because more and more, its those sort of troops that seem to be needed in the world.