Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:59:02 -0700

My theory is that you were intended to misparse the sentence by CNN.

That's a rude theory (accusing me of lying) and discourages me from
reading further.

And now you have a great example of the origin of such misreadings.

GRRR!!!!!   "were intended to", not simply "intended to".

My apologies.   I'll go back and read the rest of your post next time
I plow through this thread again.

I don't think, incidently, that it's necessary to posit a deliberate
attempt at obfuscation in that sentence by CNN.   Sloppy writing is a
simpler explanation.

Sure, always put things down to stupidity before evil. Stupidity being more common then evil. Yet with a capitalist company, I think the order is something like:
   greed -> stupidity -> evil

I used to think writing like that was just stupidity, but having seen so much of it, I'm starting to think its intentional.

 My current pet peeve:

Deliberately confusing administration statments about terrorism (many organizations) with statements about Al Queda (one organization), then using that to imply the administration was wrong/lied.

You elsewhere suggest that CNN is over the top by linking the proposal
to the wars and 9/11.   Are you kidding?

Not entirely. Its difficult to find something on CNN that mentions Ridge's name yet doesn't mention 9/11.

That link was made by the
commission when they chose to address the memo to Ridge.

 Nah, Ridge made the announcement about there being a terrorist attack
planned "with the intention to disrupt the electoral process". So they mentioned it to him since its his bailiwick I would guess.

In fact, 9/11 isn't his job really. Reassuring the populace via placebos like the Transportation Safety Authority is his job.

 Pierce

P.S.

In case you haven't figured this out yet, I'm not a knee-jerk Bush supporter, I just think most of the anti-Bush crowd is complaining about the wrong things. This irritates me, because I'd like to see people complaining about the right things.