Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:29:47 +0200

* Tobias C. Rittweiler:

> What you have to fear is that this could develop in the direction of
> something like a Notstandsgesetz (emergency law)

I think you mean "Notverordnungen" (presidential emergency
directives).  The "Notstandsgesetze" were enacted more than thirty
years later.

> back to the Weimarer Republik, on that behalf and as a propaganded
> *preventive* consequence of directly *imminent danger* the Republik
> mutated to a fascist state.

The Weimar Republic died because it lacked active supporters in key
positions, not because there were loopholes in the constitution, or
because of a strong presidency.