Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: mdpoole
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:39:54 -0400

Roman Zippel writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Michael Poole wrote:
>
>> Once you understand that you might have an
>> idea why Americans are skeptical about the Europeans' assumed moral
>> high ground.
>
> We can play the blame game forever, if only the faultless are allowed to
> speak, it would be rather silent. It's rather weak to answer criticism
> with a counter attack without even attempting to answer the critic.

I see you ignored the rest of my email, then.

Your email to which I responded did not contain specific criticism
except the unsupported hypothesis that "leaving Saddam in control over
it was not an option for the US gov", to which I would like some
support or clarification of what you meant.

The point of my email (as expressed in the last paragraph, which you
cut out) was that many people find it convenient to argue as if they
have a moral high ground, and it is easy to find some moral stance to
support that, almost regardless of the specific platform.  That does
not mean their actual motive is morality and it does not mean their
opponents are wrong.  Making vague comments that indirectly attack
some country ("I would rather suggest you read a bit more about.. what
kept them there") is a form of that.

Michael