Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:31:13 -0700

On Jul 19, 2004, at 5:00 PM, Roman Zippel wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Michael Poole wrote:

If we wanted Iraqi oil, it would have been enormously cheaper and
quicker to abet the corrupt UN oil-for-food program or just drop the
sanctions entirely.

It was quite well known that the iraqi people suffered from it and I can't
really remember that the US had any interest in doing something about
this.

 We did, there were several discussions about it, and led in part to
our frustration with the UN. Whether or not Osama had links to Saddam,
he was definitely using the sanctions as a recruiting drive. One of the
driving forces behind the oil-for-food program was Madeline Albright, in
part to help relieve the humanitarian problems brought on by the sanctions.

 One thing to remember in all US foreign policy discussions. We have
approximately 1,000,000 ex-Iraqi citizens living in the US. That
really confuses our foreign policy quite a bit

 It was quite symptomatic that the US armee protected the iraq oil
ministry and did at first nothing about the general looting.

 The original impression as I remember was that of people striking back
against their oppressors, so I think the US army was just caught flat footed. It wasn't necessarily policy. Always put things down to stupidity before evil.

Please clarify: Do you know Pierce well enough to make assumptions
about what he doesn't know rather than responding to what he actually
said?  (I ask sincerely, because I don't want to accuse you of
hypocrisy with no basis.)  I did not and do not want to answer for
him, since he seems more than capable of answering for himself.

Well, my assumptions are based on what he write so far. One example: He
displays the prison torture cases as few individual cases, only a few
soldiers need to be prosecuted and everything is well. Not a word about
what made this possible. Nothing about the role of the CIA in it. He only
seems to know about physical torture...
Everything is very shallow.

Fair enough that its shallow, but so are _your_ arguments. Its the nature of the medium, that email discussions are a bit shallow. I never said the prison torture cases are just a few individuals, I just pointed out that they came to light not because some crusading reporter uncovered them, but because the Army was prosecuting them.

The reason I brought that point up is because all people are imperfect, and must be judged by the totality of their actions. If prisons are to be judged by the abuses of the guards, every single country in the world would have to shut down their prisons. The difference is one of intent, that its much worse to intend prisoner abuse then it is to have it happen and then prosecute those involved. That doesn't mean we can just ignore what happened, but it doesn't mean we have been proven outright villains either.

In another message I talked about how I thought that Rumsfeld hadn't intended what had happened to happen, but that he more some responsibility for trying to draw a distinctions where none exists.

I may be wrong about him, but I would be
really surprised.

You're skeptical about me, so you post these short little responses about
complicated issues, and then accuse me of being shallow in my analysis.

 Er, ok.

 Pierce