Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:16:19 -0700

On Jul 20, 2004, at 4:02 AM, Momchil Velikov wrote:

"Roman" == Roman Zippel <address@hidden> writes:

Roman> Why did the US go in without the support of the UN to share the
Roman> burden, such a war costs a lot of money, which has to come from
Roman> somewhere.

  Part of money comes from "seizing the dictator's assets",
a.k.a. "robbery".  Part comes from selling Iraqi oil (it's not simply
"we need the oil", it's "we want to _sell_ the oil").  And another
large part comes from the American taxpayers.

  What may look like and probably is a burden for the American
taxpayer is most likely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a few
(govt blessed) companies to take part in the "reconstruction of Iraq".
Yet anothe scheme for diverting budget money into the hands of "our
people".

 To Roman:

We were also already spending a lot on operation Northern Watch and operation Southern Watch, which had been going on since 1995. (With UN approval, but not
funding.)

 To Momchil:

You can check the Halliburton and Bechtel books for these windfall profits, and you won't find any. Most of the reconstruction money has been turned over to the Iraqis at this point as the CPA just wasn't able to spend it given how chronically
understaffed they were.

 Pierce