Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Roman Zippel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:00:05 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Michael Poole wrote:

> If we wanted Iraqi oil, it would have been enormously cheaper and
> quicker to abet the corrupt UN oil-for-food program or just drop the
> sanctions entirely.

It was quite well known that the iraqi people suffered from it and I can't
really remember that the US had any interest in doing something about
this. It was quite symptomatic that the US armee protected the iraq oil
ministry and did at first nothing about the general looting.

> Please clarify: Do you know Pierce well enough to make assumptions
> about what he doesn't know rather than responding to what he actually
> said?  (I ask sincerely, because I don't want to accuse you of
> hypocrisy with no basis.)  I did not and do not want to answer for
> him, since he seems more than capable of answering for himself.

Well, my assumptions are based on what he write so far. One example: He
displays the prison torture cases as few individual cases, only a few
soldiers need to be prosecuted and everything is well. Not a word about
what made this possible. Nothing about the role of the CIA in it. He only
seems to know about physical torture...
Everything is very shallow. I may be wrong about him, but I would be
really surprised.

bye, Roman