[Gnu-arch-users] Announce: library-relink

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Announce: library-relink
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 07:46:44 -0400

Hi Folks,

I've written a script to re-link revision libraries.  Normally, this
would corrupt them, but this script will re-write the inode signatures.
~ Naturally, it verifies that each tree is not corrupt, before attempting
to re-link it.

It is a standalone Python 2.3 script.  I went from 600 MiB down to about
170.

You can get it here:
address@hidden/library-relink--devel--0--patch-20
http://push.sourcecontrol.net/archives/address@hidden/

Aaron

~From the README:

library-relink
==============

Eliminate duplication in Arch revision libraries

The Arch implementations currently available (tla 1.3, bazaar 1.3) make
an effort to avoid creating duplicate files, but they cannot prevent it
entirely. Generic re-linking tools will not work on Arch revision
libraries, because the inode-signature files must be updated after
re-linking, to reflect the new inode associated with the files.

This script will re-link an Arch revision library so that it contains no
duplicate source files, without making it invalid.

Limitations
If a given tree in the library contains filenames that must be
pika-escaped, that tree will be treated as invalid and skipped.

If a given tree in the library contains signatures with device number
entries, as created by older version of tla, that tree will be treated
as invalid and skipped.