Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 13:12:05 +0100

Le 21/11/2014 à 11h57, Alfred M. Szmidt a écrit :
>    (how can you say “a thing A is more important than an other thing
>    B, therefore we have to put more effort on A than B”, if B can
>    influence A, more than A can influence B, and this applied to a
>    really complex development ecosystem?) and
>
> Nobody is saying that A is more important than B.

Not exactely, but it’s close to say A has priority on B, and at the end
it has the same consequences. Let’s think a bit more decentralize and
horizontal: priority exists only in official communication. People works
on what they want. Period. Now if people want to release the GNU System,
would be cool not to stop them to.

As I said, the extraordinary creativity we can see in all projects
potentially involved (DMD, Guix, GNUnet, Hurd… I don’t know… the result
of GNU Epsilon, one day, maybe?  :D) is for me an evidence that build
up, promote and diffuse a such system could be *really* powerful to help
Free Software movement, and freedom in general. And that would
contribute highly to solve “priority issues” as proprietary JavaScript
(cf. what I said on the Internet and the GNU one).

>    forcing Hurd to follow and implement POSIX and other depassed
>    standards.
>
> The Hurd is not forced to follow any standards, nor is POSIX a
> "depassed" standard.  POSIX is a very good base for all things UNIX.

Pipes are a nightmare on Hurd I heard. I don’t remind if it was braurn
or youpi who said me POSIX was a big constraint and that with the Hurd
revolutionary architecture there were far better way to do things than
as they’re done with POSIX.